It happened to me yesterday. It was still the Christmas holidays, I had the whole day off, and we were in the midst of a complete whiteout blizzard hitting Ottawa with 20+ cm of snow. I knew that if I could get myself safely to the gym, the gym would be empty and I could get in my first workout since the chaos of the holidays hit a few weeks back.
I pack my pre-workout for the car ride, get my water bottle, coordinate a pair of gym clothes, and brave the blizzard in my beast of a candy blue Ford Fiesta.
Now, guys typically wear sweatpants, track pants, or basketball shorts at the gym, all of which usually have pockets. For me, wearing my typical compression pants, I reached into my bag only to discover I had somehow lost my armband to hold my phone. No music = no workout for me. Sorry, I’ve tried, I just can’t.
Now ladies, in this situation you have three options:
- You somehow stuff that iPhone 6 into that strappy lululemon sports bra and risk it falling out every time you bend over.
- You do like the guys do and ‘waistband it’. Put your phone or music player in your waistband and risk the same fate.
- OR, you get creative and discover 5 Exercises When You Have Nowhere to Put Your Phone and you’re stuck holding it! Every person’s worst nightmare, if you only discover this at the gym.
After discovering this I quickly changed my focus to legs and glutes, because most other exercises require your hands to be holding weights, or bars, or anything for that matter. However, this immediately eliminated squats, deadlifts, weighted lunges, and many other favourites.
So here they are (YouTube or Google these for proper form:
- Weighted Hip Thrusts: My absolute favourite. The best for glute-building. This way you can use your hands to hold the bar but set your phone down on the floor or the bench. Place a weighted bar over your hips/pelvic area where it is comfortable and sit on the floor with your shoulders against a bench (it may help to have a friend lower the bar over you). Keep your glutes and core tight and complete 3 sets of 12.
- Hamstring Curls: Lay face down, put your phone on the floor/bench. 3 sets of 12. Keep the tension out of your back/shoulders.
- Leg Press: Easiest to hold your phone. Heck, I scroll through Instagram on the leg press, it’s wonderful. Moving your feet placement up on the platform will help target the backs of your legs as opposed to only using your quads.
- Calf Raises, you can do these seated or standing, as well as doing any other basic lunges, bodyweight squats, or hands-free leg exercises when you’re stuck and still want to get in a workout.
- As always, I finished off my workout with stair stepper cardio. It can be anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. Work your way up. Push through your heels and step with your whole foot, not just the balls of your feet.
These are just a basic leg workout for when I was stuck holding my phone at the gym. It sounds pretty minimal but not having somewhere to store my phone really threw off my plans for that workout!
Any other good ones come to mind?